The District Association
Football, or the Association game as it was then known was being played by a number of teams in the Huddersfield area during the last decade of the nineteenth century but it wasn't until 1898 that it was formally recognised with the establishment of the Huddersfield and District F.A.
On the 6th May 1898, the West Yorkshire Council proposed that such a body should be sanctioned, but that it shall not have power of dealing with offences against the laws of the game.
Since its inception the Association has played a major role in the establishment of soccer football in this area and beyond. It has provided four West Riding County F.A. Presidents; 1896-9 William Hirst; 1901-5 T.H. Fitton; 1921-36 W.L. Hardcastle; 1945-54 C.W. Schofield; and four Life Vice Presidents, A. Richardson, F.R. Richardson, A, Holliday, P.Eastwood.
The one to reach the highest office was Amos Brook Hirst, a Vice President of the Association; Chairman of Huddersfield Town from 1924 to 1941 when he was elected Chairman of the F.A. at Lancaster Gate, a post he held until his retirement on health grounds in 1955. He was awarded the OBE for services to football in 1948 and a knighthood in 1954.